ESSAY ON ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION: HOW TO RECOVER ITS
ESSAY ON ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION
Human activities directly affect the environment. Air and water are the two most important natural resources, whose pollution is frequently in the news in essay on environment pollution. The presence of unusually high concentrations of harmful or poisonous substances referred to as pollutant in the environment pollution.
DEFINITION OF POLLUTANT: A pollutant is defined as a physical, chemical or biological substance unintentionally released into the environment which is harmful to living organisms and non-living things in essay on environment pollution..
TYPES OF AIR POLLUTANTS : Air pollutants are of two types
- Gaseous pollutant: Pollutants:s in gaseous states like SO2, CO2, NO2, CO, etc.
- Particulate air pollutants: Pollutants in the form of tiny solid or liquid particles. Remain suspended in air , also called SUSPENDED PARTICULATE MATTER (SPM) like smoke dust, fly ash, smog etc .
SOURCES OF AIR POLLUTION IN ESSAY ON ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION:
- Natural sources: Dust storms, forest fire, volcanoes, pollen grains, and dry shaded leaves
- Man-made sources /Anthropogenic sources: It includes human activities that add pollutants to the atmosphere. It includes fossil fuel, exhaust gases emitted by vehicles, industries, nuclear power plants etc.
CAUSES AND HARMFUL EFFECTS OF AIR POLLUTANTS IN ESSAY OF ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION
|AIR POLLUTANT||SOURCES||HARMFUL EFFECTS|
Carbon monoxide (CO)
|Combustion of fuels like petrol, diesel, coal and kerosene in home, vehicles and thermal power plant .||· It interferes with the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood.
· This gas is poisonous to body
· It cuts off oxygen supply leading to death.
Sulphur and Nitrogen oxides (SO2 /NO/NO2/N2O
|Fuel combustion, volcanic eruptions.||· Lung congestion
· Hamper in the breathing system
· Respiratory problems
· Lung damage
|Releases from refrigerators, air conditioner, aerosol
|· Thinning of ozone layer
· Causing skin cancer
· Destruction of plants
Suspended Particulate matter (SPM)
|Burning of petrol and diesel from automobile, industrial processes like steel making mining and power plants.||· Reduces visibility
· Causes attacks
· Causes bronchitis
· Damages lungs
PREVENTION OF AIR POLLUTION ON ESSAY ON ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION :
- By switching to CNG in motor vehicle in the place of petrol and diesel.(air and water pollution)
- We can use alternative source of energy like solar energy, biogas, hydropower and wind energy in the place of fossil fuel.
- By using catalytic converter in vehicle to change harmful exhaust gases into CO2, N2, H2
- We must use unleaded petrol
- By using bicycle for short distance
- We must turn off light during day time.
WATER POLLUTION ON THE ESSAY ON ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION
DEFINITION OF WATER POLLUTANT: The contamination of water by the addition of unwanted and harmful substances we term as water pollution. If toxic substances like chemicals, dye etc are infused in water, the water becomes polluted. The substances on essay on environment pollution that pollute water are called water pollutant.
TYPES OF WATER POLLUTANT: There are three categories of pollutant
- Physical water pollutant: These include heat and oil spills. High temperature of water reduces its oxygen content.
- Biological water pollutant: These include pathogens like Viruses, Protozoa, Fungi etc.
- Chemical water pollutant: : These include organic waste like sewage, detergent, fertilizer etc. .
SOURCES AND HARMFUL EFFECTS OF WATER POLLUTANT ON ESSAY ON ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION
|NAME OF THE SOURCES||TYPES||HARMFUL EFFECTS|
|Oil refineries, paper factories, textile and sugar mill including pollutants like arsenic, lead, fluorides, mercury etc||· Causes toxicity to water.
· Kills aquatic animals and plants
· It gradually enters into human body leading blood poisoning, damage of nervous system, cancer.
|Used in agricultural land to protect crops like DDT, 2,4-D, boric acid, acephate.||· Accumulates into bodies.
· All living organisms get poisoned.
|NPK, Urea get washed from the field and run into water bodies.||· Causing deterioration of water quality by ALGAL BLOOM.
· Reduces the amount of dissolved oxygen for aquatic organisms.
|Directly dumped into water bodies like food waste, detergents, microorganism.||· Causes water borne disease like cholera, typhoid, jaundice, dysentery.|
PREVENTION OF WATER POLLUTION ON ESSAY ON ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION
By the following ways Water pollution can be avoided :
- Sewage should be treated properly before discharging into water body.
- Laws for industrial units should be strictly implemented.
- Water treatment plat should be installed in all industrial areas on essay on environmental pollution.
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle mantra should be adopted.
- Used water should be used for watering plant.
- Awareness should be created. .
QUESTIONS RELATED TO ESSAY ON ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION
Qs1 : Name the chemicals which are used in refrigerators and air conditioner and damage ozone layer when released in air.
Ans1: Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are the chemical compounds which we use in refrigerators, air conditioners and aerosol sprayer and causes damage to ozone layer when released in air on the essay on environmental pollution.
Qs2 : CNG is an alternative fuel for vehicle, write its full form.
Ans2 : Compressed Natural Gas is the full form of CNG.
Qs3: State whether acid rain affects the soil and plants.
Ans3 :Acid rain affects both the soil and plants. It decreases the pH value of soil, thus making the soil acidic which is harmful for plants.
Qs4 : Mention two sources of air pollution that are not due to human on essay on environmental pollution.
Ans4 : Volcanoes and dust storms are natural sources of air pollution.
Qs5 : A gas reduces the oxygen carrying capacity of blood. Mention its name on the essay on environmental pollution.
Ans : Carbon monoxide (CO) reduces the oxygen carrying capacity of blood.
SHORT TYPE QUESTION
Qs6: Name any two water pollutants which are toxic for both plants and animals.
Ans6: Lead and arsenic are two water pollutants which are toxic for both plants and animals on the essay on environmental pollution.
Qs7: We need to filter water before drinking, give reason .
Ans7: Water contains many diseases carrying microbes and dissolved impurities that are not visible to bare eyes. So, we need to filter water before drinking.
Qs8: Groundwater also gets polluted by sewage, how?
Ans8 : Untreated or insufficiently treated sewage is major source of groundwater pollution. Sewage contains food wastes, detergents, microorganisms etc on the essay on environmental pollution which seeps into the ground to pollute groundwater.
Qs9 : Combustion of fossil fuels generates a lot of air pollution. Can you suggest any two alternative sources of energy which do not cause any pollution.
Ans9 : Fossil fuel combustion generates a lot of air pollution. Solar energy and wind energy are two alternative sources of energy which do not cause any pollution.
Qs10: Run-off water from a garden is not considered a point source of pollution. Give reason on essay on environmental pollution.
Ans10: Water running off from a garden we can not consider a point source of pollution because this water does not have a specific location for its discharge pollutants.